It’s Fair Time….How Can I Preserve the Genetics on my Rock Star?
Sep 01, 2021
By Diane Broek
We are in the heart of state fair season, which will be followed by the Royal, the NAILE, the World Dairy Expo, the National Western, and the Texas majors, along with many other shows. Each of these shows brings a unique opportunity to forever change the life of an exhibitor and the animals they exhibit. It is also a busy time for Trans Ova Genetics. For years, savvy exhibitors have realized that they need to preserve the DNA on those animals that rise to the top….the rockstars. This will provide them with the opportunity to clone those “once in a lifetime” animals. Particularly in the case of market animals, the owner of the animal can produce an intact cloned animal from a castrated male for breeding purposes. Why? Because cloning basically allows for a “do-over”. Not only can you produce a genetic twin to your rock star, but anything that occurred to the original animal after the birth event is basically a “do-over” with a clone. What does that mean? It means that castrated males will be born as intact males, it means that animals that acquired a disease after the birth event will be born without that disease, it means that animals that incurred injury or illness after the birth event will be born without those maladies.
Do you have a rockstar? If you know you have an exceptional animal, we suggest the following steps to preserve their DNA now so you do have the option to clone in the future.
- Trans Ova Genetics provides a very easy to use kit, that allows you to take tissue samples with a tagger system. It is available by simply calling Trans Ova Genetics at 1-800-999-3586 ext 3104 or 712-441-3193. The kit is shelf stable and can be purchased proactively for only $250. This will allow you to have one at the farm or one in the trailer in the event you need to use a kit on short notice. I encourage everyone who is actively showing great ones, to carry a kit or two with them. You never know when you will lose a great cow or bull, or have a show champion.
- There are two preservation options available to store DNA – an Express Tissue Bank (ETB) simply freezes the tissue intact. It is the economical option at $500. A Genetic Preservation (GP) or cell line takes the tissue samples and uses them to produce a cell line for $1600. Ultimately you do need the GP to move into the cloning process so determine if you do plan to clone this animal in the near future, or not, prior to return of the kit to our lab.
- This kit contains everything you need to take a tissue sample including the instructions, equipment, a shipping box, re-freezable ice pack and shipping labels. In addition, we have a very easy to follow video on our www.transova.com website to show you how to use the tagger system.
- Better yet, order the tissue sampling kit and take that sample at home prior to the show when you are not pressed for time. As more shows worry about activist situations, you will find that some shows do not allow any tissue samples or other activities once the animal arrives at the show.
- If you did not get your sample taken prior to the show, and find yourself in the winners showring, simply call 1-800-999-3586 Ext 3104 or 712-441-3193 and we can overnight the tissue sampling kit to you at your hotel so that you can obtain the tissue samples prior to the sale of champions. You must take the sample prior to any sales since ownership changes at that time. The kit provided makes tissue sample procurement as quick and easy as inserting an ear tag.
- We do suggest that you refrigerate the tissue samples once they are taken, and try to ship them overnight priority UPS or FED EX the same day. Do not ship the sample USPS. A good tip to remember if you are going to use the kit right away, is to put that ice pack in a freezer upon arrival so it is frozen and ready to go once the samples are taken.
- If you find that the samples must be shipped on a Friday, you will need to make sure the labels are addressed for Saturday delivery.
- When you ship the sample, take a photo of the shipping label including tracking number and text it to 712-441-3193 so we know the sample has been taken and arrival is imminent, and so we can follow the shipment.
- Do you have any other questions about DNA preservation on your rockstar? Simply view our website at www.transova.com or call your customer service representative at TOG. You can also call 1-800-999-3586 Ext 3104 or 712-441-3193 and ask for Diane Broek for more information on all things cloning.
- Good luck to all exhibitors!
Advanced Technology Sales and Production Manager
For more information on cloning, visit our livestock cloning page or past cloning blog posts.