PART XIII – So What’s New in Genetic Preservation?
May 04, 2021
So What’s New in Genetic Preservation?
By Diane Broek
Trans Ova Genetics has implemented a new system for obtaining tissue that will be cultured into an ETB or Genetic Preservation. Utilizing the TSU (tissue sampling unit) tubes that are common in DNA applications, we have developed a new system that is more user-friendly, especially for first-time samplers. The TSU tubes are coupled with an AllFlex tagger. So what are the advantages of using this new system?
- Samples can be collected in seconds with minimal animal restraint. A single-squeeze motion collects a sample with minimum distress to the animal.
- The genetic material is sealed in a specially designed tube that allows us to culture the tissue on arrival.
- Tissue samples obtained contain a large quantity of high-quality DNA for tissue culture and preservation. As well as DNA for verification once cloned offspring are born.
- The TSU is fully sealed and identified with both a 2D barcode and ID panel.
- The cost for Genetic Preservation will be the same $1600 for the tissue culture and $50 for the All Flex tagger. You can keep the tagger if desired or you can return it along with your samples, for a rebate of $50.
To order an Express Tissue Bank or Genetic Preservation kit, simply call 1-800-999-3586 Ext 3104 or any CSR representative at your regional Trans Ova Genetics site.
Advanced Technology Sales and Production Manager
For more information on cloning, visit our livestock cloning page or past cloning blog posts.